You know the saying, "you get what you put into it"? That is certainly true of participating in the Self-Service & Kiosk Association. Since I often counsel our vendor members on how to get the most out of their membership, I thought I would put it down into a top-10 list. I’m sure there are more than 10, but this is a good start.
1. Write a carefully crafted company description for your membership directory listing. Include all the keywords individuals might use to search the Internet to find you. Make sure we have a clean company logo. Review your listing periodically to make sure it’s up-to-date and let us know of any changes.
2. Send us press releases on a regular basis. Every time your company lands an important new client, launches a new product, wins an award, speaks at a conference or makes an important hire, tell us about it and we’ll publish your news on our Web site.
3. Submit case studies for publication. People love to read real-world stories of how companies implemented a new technology successfully. It doesn’t have to be long. Simply describe the scope of the project, any challenges faced, the solution provided and the results. Include at least one high quality photograph.
4. Write a “Perspective” article. You’re an expert in your field. You can help the industry by writing about what you know best. Or give your opinion on an industry trend in this 500- to 1,000-word column. If you’ve ever written a blog post (or read one), you can write a “Perspective” article. We have editors on staff that can take care of the grammar and punctuation. The article will contain your picture and reference to your company.
5. Take action on sales leads received. Each week we’ll send you sales leads that are generated through our website. Carefully review these for opportunities that fit your company’s offerings. Even if the lead is not requesting your specific product, they may still want to hear from you. They may not know they need your product until you inform them! Consider adding the contact information from leads to your database and/or your company newsletter distribution list.
6. Use the project help form to receive quotes and information from fellow members. No one company does it all. You can use the same online form users do to find information on products needed for the project you’re working on.
7. Sign up your staff to receive our e-newsletter. You can sign up as many people on your staff as you wish. Just send us a list of names and email addresses and we’ll add them to our distribution list. Your staff will stay abreast of industry news and trends. They’ll thank you for it!
8. Use the Member logo. Promote your membership in the Association by using the member logo on your website, business cards, brochures, etc. At major industry trade shows we participate in, we’ll have a floor decal for your booth to publicize your membership.
9. Join a committee. Have you been looking for a chance to get involved, meet other people and help advance industry issues? Now is your opportunity! If you have an area of interest not currently covered by one of our committees, please let us know; we may want to organize a committee or task force to address that topic.
10. Ask us! Do you have a question you can’t find the answer to? If we don’t know the answer, we’ll probably know where to find it. Is there someone you would like to meet, or do you need help contacting a company or finding a particular product? We are happy to make an introduction for you or provide the contact details needed.
As you see, it takes a little work on your part to take advantage of all that membership in our Association has to offer. But I promise you it will be worth it.