The Digital Screenmedia Association (DSA) has announced the winners for the DSA Crown Awards, which recognizes excellence in digital out-of-home content.
The DSA Crown Awards ceremony was held aboard the Duchess Yacht, which cruised around Manhattan, New York on Nov. 7 following the first day of Customer Engagement Technology World.
The categories for the content awards were Point of Sale, which is all about content on screens in store catering to the shopper; Point of Transit, which is all about reaching people are on the go, such as at airports and with digital billboards; and Point of Wait, for places where people have dwell time such as banks, elevators, and doctor’s offices. New sub categories based on budget were introduced this year.
The awards ceremony was co-hosted by Marcy Patzer of Scala and Keith Kelsen, author of Unleashing the Power of Digital Signage.
The winners are:
Category – Point of Sale (content budget of $10,000 or more)
- Gold: McCormick - Guess That Spice, submitted by 5th Screen Digital Services and HP
- Silver: Sprint - Green Mountain Bike LCD, submitted by Two West
- Bronze: Sprint Studio Holiday Grand Moment, submitted by Two West
- Honorable Mention: McCormick – Flavor Print, submitted by 5th Screen Digital Services and HP
Category – Point of Sale (content budget less than $10,000)
- Gold: Mercedes-Benz “Visualizer,” submitted by Scala and Pro-Motion Technology Group
- Silver: Sprint - Need For Speed EVO 3D LCD, submitted by Two West
- Bronze: Cedar Fair - Digital Menu Board Optimization, submitted by Allure Global Solutions
Category – Point of Wait ($10,000 or more)
- Gold: BBVA Flagship, submitted by John Ryan
- Silver: Sprint - Trail of Destruction, submitted by Two West
- Bronze: Sprint - Buyback Virtual Queue, submitted by Two West
- Honorable Mention: Loews Don CeSar Hotel - Concierge Board, submitted by JANUS Displays
Category – Point of Wait (less than $10,000)
- Gold: Sprint - Total Equipment Protection, submitted by Two West
- Silver: Family Dental Care, submitted by Digital Clinic
Category – Point of Transit ($10,000 or more)
- Gold: Monterey Bay Aquarium - 150 Feet of Awesome, submitted by Inwindow Outdoor
- Silver: Tesco - The UK's First Interactive Virtual Grocery Store, submitted by Monster Media
- Bronze: McCarran International Airport Digital Signage, submitted by Four Winds Interactive
|Mark Lopez and Lou Thurmon of Two West with their six Crown Awards.
Judges for the DSA Crown Awards included Michael Chase of St. Joseph Content, Pat Hellberg of The Preset Group, Jim Kealy of 2hemispheres, Keith Kelsen of 5th Screen, and Anne White of HypeHouse.
Each of the entries were scored independently by the judges, who took the following into consideration:
- Did the content meet the objectives?
- Was the content engaging?
- Did the content fit the environment?
- Did the content fit the audience?
After all the judges submitted their scores, the scores are tallied and the highest average score in each category were chosen as winners. Judges who had entries in the competition recused themselves from judging their entry.
"The spectacular thing about this year's awards were the amount of entries featuring interactive engagement,” said Keith Kelsen, judge and co-host. “Looking at this year's gold winners shows that interactive content is a significant trend for the industry. For retailers, interactive engagement helps make their stores a digital destination.”